By Melanie Nyhan - NASM Personal Trainer
If you’re looking to lose weight, pizza typically is not the first thing that comes to mind. Your typical slice of pizza is loaded with unwanted carbs, fat and sodium, and has very little protein. Lucky for you, I’ve found a way to marry pizza and healthy eating. Not only is this healthier pizza delish, it fits into whatever diet or lifestyle you adhere to. I mean pizza is the most important meal of the day, right?
Whenever I’m craving pizza, it’s so nice knowing I can have my fix without breaking the calorie bank. Crisped to perfection with veggies piled on, this is one of my go to recipes. I eat it at least once a week! It really takes the cake, or perhaps pie ;)
-1 whole-wheat naan bread
-4 oz. turkey sausage
-1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
-1/2 cup chopped portobello mushrooms
-1/2 cup tomato basil sauce
-2 tbsp. freshly grated parmesan cheese
-Handful of fresh arugula leaves
-Nonfat cooking spray
Note: top with whatever you’d like…
Some of my personal favs:
- Buffalo sauce, chicken, blue cheese
- Fresh mozzarella, fresh cut tomato, fresh spices
- Preheat grill or oven to 400 degrees F. Spray both sides of the naan bread with nonfat cooking spray. Set aside.
- Dice up the red bell pepper and mushrooms. Set aside.
- Spray a pan with nonfat cooking spray and fry up the turkey sausage. In the same pan, throw in the veggies and sauté for about 4 minutes.
- Once everything is prepped, put the naan bread right on the grill or oven rack, and let the bread get nice and crispy for about 3-5 minutes. Keep a close watch, unless you like it burnt.
- Take the naan bread off the grill or oven, and start by layering the sauce, turkey sausage, and then the veggies and the cheese. Put back in the oven or on the grill for a minute or so, and voila. You have a nice, crispy za ready to eat.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes, if you can resist ;)
[Recipe serves 2]
1 serving: 356 calories, 22 g protein, 38 g carbs, 13 g fat