By Emily Kho, Contributing Blogger
September is a magical month. The air begins to cool, leaves start to turn, and the rich bounty of summer harvests gives way to the hearty flavors of autumn. As we bid farewell to the warm days of summer, it's time to embrace the cozy comfort of fall-inspired dishes.
In this blog post, we'll explore three delectable recipes that perfectly capture the essence of September.
The Apple Cinnamon Pancakes recipe comes from Creme De La Crumb. The recipe makes 4 servings, taking 10 minutes to prep and 15 minutes to cook, for a total cook time of 25 minutes.
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon - (if you really love cinnamon you can add another ½ teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 apples - peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat (275 degrees).
- Whisk together the milk and vinegar and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- While milk is curdling, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg and oil into milk. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined (don’t over-mix, it should still have some lumps).
- Spray skillet with cooking spray. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to pour batter onto the skillet. Cook about 2 minutes until bubbles form and the edges start to look “dry”. Use a spatula to flip the pancake and cook another 1-2 minutes on the other side. Set pancakes aside and repeat with remaining batter.
- Add butter, apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon to a medium sauce pan. Stir over medium heat 3-5 minutes until apples are very tender. Stir in syrup. Serve apple topping over warm pancakes.
The recipe for the Sausage & Peppers Foil Pack comes from Food Network. It makes a total of 4 servings. It takes 10 minutes of prep plus 20 minutes to cook for a total cook time of 30 minutes.
- 1 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage links (4 to 6 links)
- 2 red and/or green bell peppers, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 large onion, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Serving suggestion: crusty bread or garlic bread
- Preheat a grill over medium-high heat. Lay two 18-inch-long sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil on a flat surface.
- Cut a long slit in each sausage about two-thirds of the way through and flatten gently so it opens like a book. Divide the sausages between the 2 pieces of foil.
- Toss the peppers and onions with the oil, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and put on top of the sausages.
- Bringing the short sides of the foil together, fold the seams together twice and then tuck the ends in and up to seal.
- Put the foil packets on the grill and grill, 17 to 20 minutes.
- Open the foil, being careful of steam; the sausages will be charred and have grill marks on the bottom and the vegetables will be tender. If not, just throw the packets back on the grill, unsealed, for a few more minutes until done.
- Divide among 4 plates and serve with crusty bread or garlic bread.
The Rosemary Chicken with Sweet Potatoes recipe comes from Eating Well. It makes 4 servings. It takes 20 minutes to prep and 15 minutes to cook, for a total cook time of 35 minutes.
- 4 teaspoons canola or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 20-ounce package refrigerated diced sweet potatoes, such as Simply Potatoes®
- 2 (8 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, halved crosswise
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet heat 3 teaspoons of the oil over medium. Stir in garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, 1/4 teaspoon of the rosemary and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper.
- Add potatoes; toss to coat. Cook, covered, 5 minutes (do not stir).
- Push potatoes to one side of skillet. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to other side of skillet. Arrange chicken in skillet alongside potatoes. Cook, uncovered, 8 minutes.
- Stir potatoes and turn chicken. Sprinkle chicken with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, rosemary, and pepper. Top with lemon slices.
- Cook, covered, 8 to 10 minutes more or until chicken is done (165 degrees F) and potatoes are brown. (If needed, remove potatoes as they are done and continue cooking chicken until done.) If desired, sprinkle with additional rosemary.